Sunday, February 26, 2012

Leftover with a Twist!

I am finally feeling creative enough to start blogging again. In the past 6 months, I just haven't felt very inspired. I don't know if it's because work/school has been crazy busy or the fact that most of my free time (weekends) has been taken up by house-hunting. Regardless the reason, I felt the urge to blog today so here I am!

Last week I used my handy crockpot to cook a turkey breast roast with lots of delicious veggies. The meal was a success, but I was left with tons of leftovers. I am not a fan of leftovers and will usually eat it for one more meal (lunch the next day) and be sick of it. I had so much turkey breast, veggies, and delicious broth left so I wanted to do something different to hide the fact that this was still the leftovers. The weather is turning a little chilly and boyfriend has been asking for me to make chili again so that's exactly what I did! It was a simple and no brainer meal since the broth had tons of veggies already and all I had to do was to shred the turkey meat and add a few cans of beans and some spices.

As an added twist, I decided to make some Trader Joe's tater tots to go with the turkey chili. I love chili cheese fries, so I thought why not substitute the fries with some tater tots. This also gives me the chance to try out the Trader Joe's brand of tater tots!


Shred some turkey meat (I usually use ground beef)

Saute some extra onions and mushrooms.

Add the shredded turkey in with the onions and mushrooms.

Add one can of black beans, one can of garbanzo beans, and half a can of corn.

Stir in the broth, add one small can of tomato paste, and one large can of diced tomato.
Add smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, parsley, and cayenne pepper. Stir and simmer on the stove for about an hour.

Follow directions on the bag, bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

Voila! The final product with a sprinkle of cheese! The tots are on the bottom ^_^

The texture of the turkey chili and definitely different from regular turkey. I think this is mainly due to the turkey meat, which falls apart more easily. The tots fell apart due to the hot chili so I think I will wait for the chili to cool a little bit before combining them together. I am looking forward to getting back into the blogging world and sharing my stories and foods with all of you! I hope this post helps to inspire you for the upcoming week =)


No comments:

Post a Comment